Barkha's Custom Sourcing, LLC
- United States
- Main Contact
- Barkha Malik
Custom sourcing company providing clients with organic and ethically certified fabrics and textiles.
Barkha’s Custom Sourcing is an independent woman-owned eco-textile development and sourcing consulting firm based in the US. With the support of their team in India, Barkha’s specialises in sourcing and custom development of organic and sustainable textiles and products from start to finish. It is their policy to only work with GOTS-certified organic cotton mills, hand-loom weaving co-ops and NGOs that use sustainable fibres and also reflect their FairTrade/ Fair Labor ethic.
Barkha’s wide range of services covers all phases of the process from the initial consulation to product delivery, offering large firm services with a small boutique approach. By facilitating the business process and providing each client with dedicated attention, Barkha’s assures a hassle-free experience. The company has become a resource for highly specialized sustainable textiles and accessories for a wide range of industries.
Barkha’s offers total customisation of textiles and products to clients.
Ethical Focus & Policy
Meeting high environmental and ethical standards are at the heart of the company’s mission. To be a sustainable business, Barkha tries not only to be mindful of the environment, but also be fair to everyone along the supply chain while trying to grow the business. A myriad of factors are considered before deciding if a product meets sustainability requirements.
- Takes into account the environmental effects of the manufacturing processes, the consumption of resources, and the transportation methods.
- Place an equal emphasis on fair labor.
- In October 2014, became GOTS-certified through OneCert, Inc. to guarantee clients the highest internationally-recognised standards for organic, ethical sourcing of textiles from the fields to the mill to the client.
- Takes every measure possible to maintain sustainable and ethical business practices, keep informed about new industry information and adjust policies continually to reduce our impact on the planet.
- For specialised artisan textiles, works with small-scale hand loom weavers and craftspeople, NGOs and co-ops in India.
- Verifies artisan groups against International Organization for Standardization’s “ISO 26000- Social Responsibility” voluntary standards, to make sure fair labor principles are adhered to.
- Believes in forming long term relationships with economically and socially marginalised producers in order to help them earn a livelihood.
- Organic cottons and Tencels come from conventional mills that hold Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) and/or Oeko-Tex certifications and follow fair labor standards.
Consultancy Service: $75-$125 per hour for product development and project management.
Fabrics: Cruelty free silks $25/yard and up.
Organic cottons: $7 voiles to $20 heavy canvases.
Products and services
Services include product development and management throughout the sampling and production stages, handling testing through accredited labs, oversee quality related issues and handling all labelling, packaging and shipping logistics, both domestic and international, through a vendor network of freight forwarders. All stages of production are monitored to follow an ethical policy of minimising impact on the environment.
Sampling Minimums for Custom Fabrics varies by job/project.
Sampling yardage for stock fabric 1 yard.
Typical Product lead times
Custom fabrics: 60 to 180 days depending on sampling required.
Stock fabrics: within 5 days.
Closest shipping ports
Best possible shipping logistics figured out for each project.
Sea and air shipping via wide network of carriers to all major sea and airports.